Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Riding/Training - Schooling Show in Castle Rock

Schooling Show in Castle Rock


I stopped by a schooling show outside of Castle Rock this morning to see what it was like.  I think, when they resume them monthly in January, I will try to bring horses over and ride.  You have to keep your horses tied to your trailer between rides, so I would have to have help if I were to bring more than one horse.  The footing was very nice in the indoor, where the show took place, but the warm up area was tiny.  It would be a challenge for a young horse or one of any age who wasn't secure or relaxed about having other horses it didn't know in close proximity.  I think it might afford a good opportunity to take horses away from home and ride indoors in the winter.  Not to mention the benefit of being scored on a test without the pressure of a big show, fancy clothes and a full bore turn-out.

It was a Halloween show this time, so there were lots of adorable children and ponies in costumes.  But when their events were over, there were a number of adult amateurs turned out more or less in clinic attire, without braiding, and with horses in boots of various sorts.  This looked like something I could manage in the winter, without an indoor or heated barn and in weather too cold for bathing and braiding horses.  Prima and Gus should be fine with it and it would be good to take Elvis and see how he does. 

Elvis had not slept in a barn before I got him and he I don't think he had never been ridden in an indoor.  He made those adjustments pretty easily, so perhaps this will be easy for him too.  It will give me a goal to shoot for.  To be ready to ride those tests by January!

No comments:

Post a Comment