Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Food - Baked eggs with Ham and Leeks

Baked Eggs with Ham and Leeks

Homestyle Applesauce


We had leftover ham to get rid of, so I decided to put chunks of it in the bottom of our baked eggs this morning.

1/2 cup chunked, fully-cooked ham
5 turket pullet eggs (or large chicken eggs)
1/4 cup top milk (or half and half)

Rub a baking dish with a little butter.  Put the ham in the bottom, Crack the eggs over the ham.  Drizzle the top milk on top.



This is what it looks like before it is baked.

Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven until the eggs are the desired doneness and it begins to brown on top.  We like the whites firm and the yolks runny which took about 20 minutes.


This is what they looked like when done.

Easy Homestyle Applesauce 

It annoys me that I can't get chunky applesauce that has no sweatener added.  The only brand I can find with no sweetener added is Kroger "sugar free" applesauce and it has no chunks.  It's ingredients are "Apples, water, vitamin C", though, which is perfect.  Here is my solution.  I take raw apples and cut them up in a microwave safe bowl, sometimes even leaving the skins on for extra taste.  I add the Kroger applesauce and stir the chunks in.  I cover with a glass plate and microwave until the chunks of apple are soft but not mushy.  The result is a chunky, flavorful, hot applesauce that has no sugar and only takes about 5 minutes to achieve.  I sometimes add raw honey and cinnamon at the table: it's my anti-inflammatory potion for the day. 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment