Friday, October 26, 2012

The Garden - The Veggies Survive the First Hard Frost

The Veggies Survive Our First Hard Frost




We have covers and incandescent light bulbs over 4 of the garden boxes this winter.  I am about to go out and pick some greens for dinner and there was a wind chill in the teens last night.  This is so exciting!  I can't even decide what to have.  But I am leaning towards the spinach because it is the most fragile and the most likely to succome if the temperatures get too extreme.  The wind chill is supposed to be in the single digits tonight.   The photo above is of the chard and spinach.  The spinach is in the background.  You can see the snow on the ground outside the box. 





This is a tighter shot.  It all looks pretty healthy, considering.




The photo above shows the kale and leeks.  They seem to have made it through the night pretty well too.  I had leeks in my omlette this morning!



 
 
This is the mustard greens.  They look a little wilted.  I am not sure if they got too cold in the night or too hot in the sun or too dry because of the cover.  I will have to investigate further tomorrow when it is warmer outside.  I didn't want to have the boxes open too long today.   Just long enough to snap these photographs. 

1 comment:

  1. I haven't commented every time, but I have read them all. I'm enjoying your capturing of the things happening very much, Ruth Ann. And-keep yourself warm too!

    ReplyDelete