Monday, October 22, 2012

The Garden - Carrots and Beets

Carrots & Beets


We started digging the root vegetables ahead of our forecast snow for Friday.  I had no idea they were getting so big.  Obviously, we should have been eating them starting in about July.  Our soil is indeed getting better and able to support better growth!   I didn't even know I had planted beets.  The seed got mixed up in the chard seed, so the beets just sort of appeared in the rows of chard. 





We put hardware cloth on the bottom of the garden boxes to keep the gofers and ground hogs out.  I think the carrots hit the mesh on the bottom of the garden box and then just got fat instead of long.  I think some of them split under the pressure of no where to go.

After trimming and washing we have 20 lbs of carrots and 12 lbs. of beets.

No comments:

Post a Comment