Monday, October 29, 2012

The Food - New Recipe for Fall Root Vegetables

New (for me) Recipe for Fall Root Vegetables


I found this recipe in a magazine, or rather the idea for it in a magazine. I always have to tweak recipes because I often don't have exactly what the recipe calls for.   Last night we had  onions, carrots, potatoes and parsnips from the garden as well as lots of fresh sage.

1 cup sliced onion
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup sliced potatoes
1 cup sliced parsnips
olive oil
water
salt and pepper
1/2 cup fresh sage, chopped

In a large frying pan, saute the vegetables and sage in about 1/4 inch of oil for about 10 minutes.  Then add about a cup of water, cover and steam the vegetables for another 20 minutes, ot until tender.  Then take a pastry knife and sort of crunch up (rather than mash) the vegetables in the pan juices.  Salt and pepper to taste.  You end up with something that has different colors and different textures, rather than the usual mashed puree. 

I think you could do this with any number of winter roots and squashes and a variety of herbs.  I also had red beets but chose not to include them because I thought they would have perhaps created a muddy color in the dish. 

I used some of the leftovers in my 3-egg omlette this morning.  Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment