Saturday, October 13, 2012

The food - Farm Stew

Hearty Farm Stew


I made a terrific stew Thursday night that kept well and we are still enjoying it.  It was super for dinner last night after 6 hours of driving and a day-long retreat in Estes Park.   

1 lb. lamb stew meat cut in 1/3 inch cubes
2 beef shanks, boned and cubed
1 stick of butter
4 small onions or large scallions
Carrots
Potatoes

All the vegetables were from the garden.  I had about 2 lbs of carrots and 2 lbs of tiny purple, white and yellow potatoes.  The onions we really large scallions and I incuded some of the tender green tops.

I dredged the meat in white spelt flour
(I am trying to see if I can substitute spelt for wheat most of the time now)
Browned it in the butter in a large dutch oven.
Added the chopped onions first
Then the rest of the cubed carrots and whole tiny potatoes
Seasoned with salt, pepper and worcestershire sauce
Filled the dutch oven with water
Brought to a boil and simmered for about an hour.

Easy-Peasy!  And Yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment