Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Garden - October Vegetables



October Vegetables


This weekend's harvest brought collards, kale, sweet potatoes and leeks.  I am trying to over-winter the kale with a cover and a light bulb, so I had to cut the plants back so that they were not too tall for the  cover.  I am not totally sure whether the "collards"  are really collards.  They might be broccholi that didn't ever make florets.  In any case, I cut one whole stalk down and harvested the leaves.  The plan is to cook them like collards and see how they taste.  If palatable, I'll harvest the rest and freeze them.  They are way too tall to cover.  The sweet potato vines were killed by our first frost, so we needed to dig them and see what we got.  Not many, but hopefully they will be tasty.  They were last year!  The leeks were the last three from last year's planting.  I have a whole row of little ones from this year that I hope to over-winter.  We are still getting onions, carrots, parsnips, spinach and chard as we need it.  At the next killing frost I will have to pull them all up, though.  We have parsley and other perennial herbs that we will try to over-winter as well; and the strawberries, rhubarb and asparagus.

No comments:

Post a Comment