Monday, November 5, 2012

The Riding/Training - Gus and Elvis

Elvis


I rode Elvis first this afternoon.  I lunged him at the trot and canter for about 15 minutes.  There were a few wrong leads but no cross-firing.  Then I rode him.  He was sound on the lunge and under saddle.  YAY!!

We worked on: turns on the forehand, turns on the haunches, halt transitions and rein back.  We worked on leg yields in both directions down the center line.  We did a lot of trotting: 20 meter circles and whole arena.  He was forward and very unemotional: steady and even cadenced. 

"A wet blanket is the best thing for a young horse."



Gus

I rode Gus second.  It was getting dark, but he was really good.  We worked on turns on the forehand, turns on the haunches, and rein back.  We worked on the shoulder-in to renvers transitions in both directions.  We did a lot of canter work. We cantered 20 meter circles, and three loop serpentines with a simple lead changes through the walk at the rail.  We worked on leg yields in both directions from the quarter line to the rail.  He was really nice and relaxed and his transitions were dreamy.  It seemed like I just had to think them.  I didn't want to stop, but it got too dark.  He could probably see, but I couldn't. 

I wonder how hard or expensive it would  be to put some flood lights up on the pole by the arena....

No comments:

Post a Comment