Monday, November 26, 2012

The Riding/Training - 11/25 Prima and PJ

11/25 - Prima and PJ


 
I worked with PJ first.  She has been getting a bit pushy and demanding when we are working with the other horses, so I decided she needed some attention and maybe a little discipline.   I caught her, tied her and let her stand for a bit.  Then I brushed her.  She really loves being brushed.  Then I put her in the cross ties  in the barn by herself and left her there for a bit.  She was good. Then I got out the stick to measure her.  The last time I did this it took a long time because she was very warey of the stick.  Not this time!  She was not the slightest bit afraid of it.  She showed some healthy curiosity when I first approached with it, but then I just telescoped it out and she looked as if she remembered it and we were done.  She is officially 14'2"hh. at almost exactly 18 months of age.  I don't know what that means for her ultimate size, but I am thinking around 16'2"hh.  She was good and got a handful of cookies and back  out she went.  She really didn't want to go back out and I maybe should have hand walked her, but I wanted to get to Prima and maybe Elvis this day.
 
 
She has a nasty chip out of her left front foot.  She isn't lame and the farrier is coming Friday, so we decided to leave it.  
 
I worked Prima next.   I worked her in the English cross country tack with a rubber pelham bridle.  I lunged her in side reins first and then we went on a long, fast marching walk around the farm.  I checked fence as we went and found a few places that needed untangling, stretching and re-attatching to the insulators.  It has been windy on and off.  She had a very wet blanket when we were done, but she showed a great attitude.  I felt bad having to put her muzzle back on.  She has lost enough weight that I might be able to stop using the girth extender soon - or switch to a shorter girth.   Good girl!  
 
We were trying to get out to do some Christmas shopping, so I didn't try to ride Elvis.  He will get done Tuesday.  The weather will be nasty tomorrow.     

No comments:

Post a Comment