Monday, November 12, 2012

The Riding/Training - Elvis & Gus - 11/9

The Riding /Training 11/9


I got everything laundered and packed and got the horses loaded by 10:00.  It was a beautiful warm day in the upper 60's.  It's hard to believe that it will be in the single digits by tomorrow night.  Because of that I have had to pack stable sheets, turnout sheets, coolers, half blankets, and warm stable blankets for each horse.  That's more clothes than I'm taking!  The boys will have a stall tonight but tomorrow, when the other riders arrive, they will go out into a shed row. 

We made good time on an uneventful drive up to Evergreen.  I unloaded, had some lunch and then got down to exercising the horses in this less familiar environment.  Elvis was aftaid to step in the shavings ... I guess he has never seen them before... although he was in a stall up here at least once before, so I'm not sure what his problem was. 

Elvis

I lunged him in the outdoor before taking him in the indoor arena.  He had a bit of pent up energy to run off, but he was good, if a little vocal while outside.  Indoors we rode: simple walk. trot, canter.  He was good but a little tight and we thought he looked a bit off on that left front, again.  I kept it light and simple and decided not to give him bute but to wait and see how he looks tomorrow.  My ride times are at 11:00 and 4:15.  I think I will ride Elvis first when I am not tired. 

Gus

I rode Gus briefly as well.  He was really very relaxed, but he has been to this place many times before.  Walk/trot/canter: no muss no fuss.  His transitions were smooth and his attitude was great.  It makes me a little nervous.  You know what they say about dress rehearsals!

I put the boys to bed, fed them, loaded the dirty tack into the truck, unhitched the trailer and headed for home. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment