Monday, November 19, 2012

The poultry - Turkey Delivery Day

Turkey Delivery Day


I had to work today, so before the sun was up I was out in the machine shed, wiping out coolers and lifting frozen turkeys out of the freezer.  I put one turkey in each of four coolers and loaded them into the car.  I had forgone the delivery of fresh turkeys to people this year, opting instead for the frozen route.  This way I could butcher earlier, avoiding the crush at the locker plant.  I could deliver at my leisure, instead of having to pack the freshly butchered, warm carcasses in ice and race all over town to get them delivered before it melted.  Last year had been pretty hectic. 

But I have some misgivings about this choice as well.  The birds do not look as picturesque all plastic wrapped and frozen into odd shapes from being stacked in the big freezer in Simla.  I can't really inspect them.  I hope they are plucked nicely and the skin isn't damaged ... but I don't really know.  I hope people will tell me if there is something amiss, but I bet they won't. 

I think I like the fresh turkey delivery system better. 

2 comments:

  1. You know I'm not commenting every day, but I am reading! It's lovely to hear what's going on with you 'down on the farm'! People's mouths undoubtedly are watering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't expect comments every day. This blog is really enjoyable for me, even if no one reads it or comments on it. (But I do have readers from as far away as The Netherlands, Croatia, Germany, Russia, South Korea and China.) I have always kept training logs for the horses, but having it here with photos makes it easier to remember and build on. And logging what's going on in the other areas on the farm is just nice to have as a record of what we have done out here. I feel like when we are older and living in town again, we will have this record to look back on: some successes and some disappointments and failures. But all of it an adventure!

    ReplyDelete