Sunday, July 28, 2013

The Horse Breeding - Prima To Have Her Pre-Breeding Check-up

Prima To Have Her Pre-Breeding Check-Up

This post also never got finished because of my back.  So I will update and finish it now.
Prima did not get pregnant last summer because she was too fat.  We did a blood test in the fall, when she was very fat,  and she was insulin intolerant.  So we got her a grazing muzzle.

 
She seemed resigned to it from the beginning.  I think perhaps she had worn one before. I took her for long marching walks up hill and down all winter.  I made her sweat.

 
When my back got bad, and I couldn't ride, I lunged her.
 


She lost a lot of weight.


So when we took her for her pre-breeding check-up, her blood work was good.  When we bred her, she took the first time, and she is now pregnant with a Benidetto foal: a little half sibling to Bella.

 


Bella will  be a grey, but we are almost certainly assured of a red-head from Prima.




We are very pleased!

No comments:

Post a Comment