Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Food - Greek Chicken and a Spring Blizzard Salad

Greek Chicken and a Spring Blizzard Salad


The problem with starting a food post and not finishing it in one sitting is that if I don't get back to it in a timely manner, I forget how I made the dish.  This is one of those occasions.  To make matters worse, I didn't have a recipe.  I saw one of the hosts make this dish on the TV show The Chew. ( I often watch it while I eat my lunch when I am at home.)  But I didn't go online to get the recipe - I just tried to remember it.  This was a great dinner to have during a spring blizzard.  It is lighter than the fare we crave during a mid-winter blizzard and lacks the rich root vegetables and squash  we have in the fall. 

Greek Chicken

1 chicken, cut up as if for frying
Olive oil
2 jars of artichoke hearts packed it water
1 bunch of fresh parsley
1 carton of sliced mushrooms
1 onion, chopped
1 lemon sliced
3 cups chicken broth
1 jar of pitted green olives

In a dutch oven, brown the chicken well on all sides in about a 1/2 inch of olive oil.  Drain and set aside.  Then, also in the dutch oven, sautée the onions, mushrooms, and sliced lemon.  Deglaze the pan with some of the chicken broth.  Add the browned chicken and the rest of the chicken broth to the Dutch oven.  Simmer, covered,  over low heat for about 45 minutes or until the chicken is done.  For the last five minutes add the bunch of fresh parsley, chopped, and the drained artichoke hearts, and the green olives, drained.  (I could only find pitted green olives that were stuffed with garlic or jalopenos.  I got the ones with peppers and removed them.  There was still enough heat in the olives to spice up the dish a bit.)  Salt and pepper to taste.  Serve over couscous.

Salad

Spinach
Swiss chard, sliced thin
Mango, diced
Craisins
Nuts (I used cashews)

Gramma Mac's salad dressing ( one part vinegar, two parts sugar, three parts oil, plus salt, pepper and paprika blended in a small bowl with a fork).


1 comment: